ART - JUMP BACK IN?


So, I have not been very good about being creative lately. I have been so stinkin' busy with exercise, and food, that it just hasn't been on my mind at all!! It's pretty sad really, so, I decided to hop on FB and ask the following question to some of my favorite artsy fb groups, like Everyday Matters and Artists Journal Workshop.
After not journaling, or drawing, for a ___ amount of time, how do you get back into it? What are your tips?
I received many different answers in reply some short like "Just do it!" and some long (like the last and one of my favorite answers). I personally do not resonate with the "Just do it, what else do you have to do?" type of answer. It makes me feel guilty and like the rest of my life doesn't matter, and I don't like those feelings. To me, art is supposed to be fun, I shouldn't feel guilty for not doing it (unless I have an obligation, like a customer, or something). 

I have a certain time each day set aside for myself. Not being selfish. It is my creative time and I'm OK with that. Something else comes up, I just say no, not right now. Later. - Tom Nixon
You never know when the creative lightning bolt may strike!! I keep my art supplies next to my bed...open up my journal, and just start off..even while watching the tele... - Cheena Kaul
I've found that creativity has peaks and valleys, there seems to be a time for rest, charging batteries, or, gathering new information, inspiration, collecting mental clip art, so to speak. I no longer fret, just relax with the flow, and wait pencil nearby, for next idea, vista, joke.... - Suzanna Lasker
...when I go into art galleries or stores and see beautiful paintings I get inspired.... - Wendy Lovendale
I had read a quote by a famous artist, he said he doesn't wait for inspiration, he gets up everyday and paints whether he feels like it or not, and when inspiration visits he considers those "good days". - Amitabh Deshpande 
I have three things that keep me going. 1) I make it a part of my routine. First thing in the morning with my coffee. It has become such an important part of my routine that without it I am lost for the day. 2) Every other page has some preperation; a doodled border, a mandala to fill in with color or zentangle, a qoute, picture, stamping falling leaves today, ect. I find that the page waiting for me lures me back time and again. It is nice for those times when I've nothing to say, or don't feel like drawing. I made the commitment to myself that these pages are for my eyes only. LIBERATING! I CAN"T go wrong! - Roxane Kampa
I never stop. Some days I am not hungry, but I always eat a little something. - Lee Kline
A daily appointment. Otherwise, i pick a reference photo, the first who catches my attention, from the ones I keep in a large bag (mostly pages taken from National Geographic) and copy it drawing with a black marker or bic, so I don't stop the process trying to erase mistakes... otherwise, I do some very very quick contour drawing sketches, even blind contour - Elisabetta Campagnolo

Draw before you go to bed - just a reminder of what might have occurred that week? peaceful. No pressure - just you and your memories. -Patty Fee
Dump out your purse and draw everything but only give yourself 5 min for each sketch. - Jill Mccutcheon
I try not to get too precious about it. Have low expectations. Go for daily drawngs of ordinary things rather than an occasional masterpiece. Make it a habit and trust that when your eyes connect with your hand and your heart, it will be fine. Make it a joy. Draw in all kinds of places - on the train, at breakfast, half way up a flight of stairs. I think it should become a habit that delights and enriches. - Evelyn Bach
Force myself to have a small pocket sized sketch book & a pen on me at all times.. no excuses. After I adopted that as a rule I grew to feel kinda naked w/out it. There are many 5-15 minutes windows in the day to just pull it out and practice 'looking' at my surroundings.  - Lisa Marie Greenly

I set the stage to create in a mini art retreat atmosphere at my house and just for me. I clean the art table and set out my journal and supplies, or set up the easel and prep the canvas. I do ONE thing to set the stage to create and I move very slowly and mindfully as I set up as if I'm planning for a special art retreat. I do this prior to my two days off work. Clear my schedule. Make nutritous food in advance. Plan to bake cookies when I take a break from painting. And I schedule in artsy time out from the studio such as a stage play or author reading. (No TV, internet, or phone calls.) It's also a break from technology. On these two days I make sure I start the day watching the sunrise and ending the day watching the sunset. - Darlene Campbell 

Do any of these make you want to get up and draw? Do you have any suggestions to answer my question? How do you jump back on the horse?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate it SO much!