MY HERITAGE: SWEDEN

The other day, I called my grandparents (g-rents), cause you know, I am an angel of a granddaughter. Usually I talk to my grandma because well, she's a bit more talkative than my grandpa. Unless well, I ask him something great. Something that I know he will have something to say about. And lets hope I am actually interested in the subject! 

This time, I did have something interested I wanted to ask him. It has to do with our heritage. I asked him, "Why did our family leave Sweden?". It seemed as though he was really happy I asked this question. I am not sure if anyone in my family has ever really asked him things about our family history before. He was pretty excited to tell it. 

It reads: Sweden - Midnight Sun Kingdom {source}


So he shares with me: 
Back in the early 1900's there was a war. 

(Which war, grandpa? Was it with the Russians or the Finnish?)

Well, I don't remember now... 

(I just googled it, and it was World War I, which had broken out in 1912 - Don't judge my lame history knowledge!) 
Anyway, there was a war. And it wasn't a good place to be, Adrienne. 

(Oh, you really wouldn't know that by how things are up there now, Sweden is one of the richest countries in the world!) 

My Father (my great grandpa) wanted to leave the country. Along with 5 of his (my great grandpa's) uncles. Four of which traveled over to New York under the name of Gus Lundmark. The fifth one, however, made it to New York, was caught and jailed. He was jailed because he traveled alone and didn't have family with him. [I guess at the time they only wanted people with families?] There was a woman in the next cell over and was crying. He asked her why she was jailed, and it was because she too didn't have a family, and traveled alone.  They decided to make a deal. They would get married, travel to Minnesota (apparently where all Scandinavians decided to go to when they immigrated... lol), and part ways when they reached their destination. -- They got married right in the jail cell! 

When they finally made it to Minnesota after a long train ride from New York, she looked at him and said. "I want to be married to you, I feel married to you. And you are married to me." They remained married for the rest of their days. 
When they finally made it to Minnesota after a long train ride from New York, she looked at him and said. "I want to be married to you, I feel married to you. And you are married to me." 

They remained married for the rest of their days. 
He also told me that Great Grandpa found Willamina (Will-uh-mine-a), Oregon (where I am originally from). Apparently they lived somewhere in Sweden called Wilhemina (Will-heh-meen-uh). He claimed that he was born in Wilhemina, and will die in Willamina. And that he did. [Willamina was once called Willamina (Will-uh-meen-uh), in it's early days.]

I thanked my grandpa greatly for sharing this little piece of family history with me. I am so appreciative that he is still around to share such things with me. Also, I am glad that I asked. I am sure he is happy to hear that I am very interested in our history. 

Before I asked why our family had left Sweden, I was kind of upset at my family for leaving! Since I am now living in Europe, I just couldn't grasp why they ever left. I finally understood when my Grandpa explained the conditions during WWI. I am so glad that I asked! 


Do you know where your family originated? Where did they end up when they immigrated? 



POPULAR POSTS:
PS. If you're leaving a comment, please tick the box that says "subscribe to replies", that way you get an email when I reply to you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate it SO much!