You Never Think It'll Be You, Or Someone You Know...

So, as soon as we landed in Germany flying from Greece, I turned my phone back on. I got a text message from one of my very good and best friends that her husband was injured in Afghanistan. My heart just fell out of my chest. I didn't know what to do or how to respond. How could I be there for her the best? She was watching our dog while we were in Greece, so we decided to just head to her house first thing. It was a 3.5 hour drive from the airport to her place. So off we went. 

My mind was reeling. What should I say? What should I do? Husband and I decided that we were just going to head to her house, take the dogs off of the puppy sitters hands, and stay the night there, await for her arrival from the "big" hospital. Her friend, the person watching the pups while she was at the big hospital, was a bit skeptical of us just coming in and taking over. It was kind of comical from my standpoint, as I have known my friend for a couple years now. Nevertheless, we stayed, it was a long day for us, getting up at 4am to get to the airport and then the 3 hours + of driving. Husband and I were both exhausted. But we were happy to watch over our puppy nephew.

We took the boys out to dinner. I think it was the first time our puppy nephew was out to eat here in Germany. He was so sweet. He always is. It was pretty funny though, we sat outside with the boys, and we were sitting inside the tented area. And the boys were afraid of the curtain thing, it was pretty funny. Except they're both such weenies that they started shaking. **rolls eyes** -- Anyway, the German guy suggested I shut the curtains. So I did. 
This is what happened. It suddenly turned into a puppy look out peep hole. Hahaha. It was so cute. Koodge just thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. He was just so excited to look out that peep hole, he would watch for people coming, and unfortunately they never saw his little head peeking out through the doors with his tail a'waggin'. He would get so disappointed every time they didn't say hi. He is such a sap. Then puppy nephew had to do the same thing. lol. Cute boys.

Both dogs are in-bed sleepers. Let me tell you, two dogs bed hogs, and two adults, in one queen sized bed... lol. There wasn't much room. Puppy nephew thought that he could sleep on top of me. Haha. Those two faces are what we woke up to. They're too cute.

We spent the day watching movies and cleaning up my friend's house. Just making sure that when she came home, she wasn't stressed about her home situation. I was so happy to be there for her when she arrived home from the big hospital. Honestly, it was slightly selfish of me, I really wanted to see her before she left Germany. She found out that her husband was paralyzed, from the waste down... That was the most significant injury.  -- At this point I am still at a loss for words.

I just can't get over it. It's not even happening to me and I feel so much. Her WHOLE life is changed. Her husband's whole life is changed. But they are so strong. And they have an amazing support group, all over the world. They are amazing people, and I know that they are going to figure everything out. Because they are amazing.

I am a bit sad that my friend had to leave Germany though, pretty selfish of me, no? But, I am. I wish I had spent a bit more time with her, while they were here. It's so easy to say that now. But I suppose, life happens.

I guess the biggest thing that really makes me think, is that... my friends aren't the only Military Family whose life has changed so dramatically. These events happen all the time. And that's scary. But true. I feel these events so much deeper now, I think.

All in all, even though she is now on a different continent than I am, I hope I can be a good friend and supporter for her and her husband. I told my husband that I didn't want these people out of my life now that they aren't going to be moving from place to place like me. I want to keep them in my life. They are amazing people. She and I had a very deep friendship. And I will not throw that away. I told husband that if we're in the states anytime, that we need to make sure and go to them. I want to do that. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to your friends. I hope they remain open to all the people who are willing to support them and take advantages of the resources available to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so sad. I hope he heals quickly. You are such a wonderful friend to stay by her side through this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate it SO much!