EXPAT: Q & A - FOOD

Nürnberg, Germany

What is your favorite food tradition in your new country?
Fest food! For real. So whenever there is a fest (festival, beer drinking, mostly...) there are these stands and they serve the most delicious food! Usually I get the SteakSemmel - Basically a pork steak sandwich. It needs no condiments. And is amazing. And probably terrible for me. But hey, we can indulge every once in a while, right?!

2. Where have you traveled to that you thought had the best food to offer?
Uhm, that's a hard question. I can pretty much find something that I at least can eat every where I've traveled. I kind of miss Korean food. But German food is fantastic. One place I didn't find anything I like was in Czech... Maybe I just picked the wrong restaurants or something!

3. What is the typical breakfast where you currently live and would you eat it back home?
Here, Germans eat a very small breakfast. Usually consists of some type of bread roll, or just bread. And then meat and cheese. Totally fine with me! Husband and I eat this on a regular basis! We go to the local grocery stores and buy rolls and meat and cheese! Oh, and you just HAVE to add cucumbers. Delish. -- I don't know if I would eat this in the states... Maybe I would. I probably would, but it wouldn't come close to the breads, meats, and cheeses that they have available here. They're just awesome. 

4. What type of restaurant, either style or type of food, do you think is lacking in your new home?
OMG. MEXICAN FOOD. The "mexican" food they have here is AWFUL. Omg. I miss Mexican food so much from the states. Well, from Oregon, anyway. Haha. 

5. Do you think your home state/city/province has a food everyone should try?
Uhm, well, I don't know. Oregon has it all, I guess... Nothing spectacular that wouldn't be able to be found all over the USA. So, no, not really. 

6. What is your favorite dish to prepare that you would never have made back home?
Uhm, everything! I never really COOKED before marrying husband, and I haven't been hom since! So, everyone would be thoroughly impressed with my new-found skills. 

7. What is the oddest food in your new country?
I don't really know. I don't find much of it odd. Just different. Now, if you're asking me about Finland, they have these... cakes or something. And they are... Gross. Most Finnish don't even like them. Unfortunately the name is slipping my mind at the moment. 

8. If you could have a crate of one type of food sent to you from your home country, what would it be?
Mexican food, obviously. 

9. What three foods remind you of summer?
Fruits, salads, and ice cream! 

10. What food from your new country are you surprised to enjoy?
A lot of things here are somewhat similar to back home. But, a lot of it I had never tried before (even if I had something similar available to me back home). Before marrying husband, I was a VERY picky eater. I still am picky, but I am much more open to trying new things. Last night, I tried a White Asparagus Cream Soup! And it was AWESOME! Oh, and I like Thai food. Haha. Yummy yum curry goodness! 

Bonus:  Where was your favorite place you ever took a summer vacation to?

In my adult life, I haven't been on too many "summer vacations", but last year, when husband returned from Deployment, and we took a trip to an all inclusive resort in Greece! That was pretty fun but I didn't LOVE it. Like, I could handle not going back, and would be fine with it. Also, during the summer months, I took a trip to Italy with my German Bestie -- it was... okay. It was like the Little Germany of Italy, and the only thing that felt different about it was the fact that it had 105 degree F weather! OMG. And I got sun burned so bad! -- I really look forward to taking more "summer vacations" throughout my life. :)

As a kid, myself, my aunt, cousin, and dad would take a trip to Bend, Oregon. My aunt had some sort of conference there. It was so awesome though because all the same kids would go every summer. And we stayed at The Inn of the Seventh Mountain (or something like that). And it was awesome every year, I have great memories of that place 

Found Love.  Now What?


POPULAR POSTS:
PS. If you're leaving a comment, please tick the box that says "subscribe to replies", that way you get an email when I reply to you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate it SO much!